Facebook just announced the recent update on the face recognition feature.
Face recognition is used to analyze the photos and videos facebook think you’re in, such as your profile picture and photos and videos that you’ve been tagged in, to make a unique number for you, called a template. When you turn your face recognition setting on, Facebook create your template and use it to compare to other photos, videos and other places where the camera is used (like live video) to acknowledge if you seem therein content.
How Facebook uses the face recognition template
- Find photos and video you’re in so it can help you review or share content, suggest tags, and provide more relevant content feature recommendations. For example:
- Facebook may let you know when you appear in photos or videos but haven’t been tagged. You can review these photos Photo Review.
- When you add a photo, we may suggest that you tag people in photos.
- If Facebook thinks that you are present during a photograph or video that your friend has added, it may suggest that your friend tag you. If you like to review photos and videos you’re tagged in before they appear on your timeline, you can turn on Timeline Review
- Helps protect users from impersonation and identity misuse, and improve platform reliability. For example:
- Facebook has the ability to detect if you seem in somebody else’s profile image and send you a notification. If you review profile picture and think someone is impersonating you, you can report that profile.
- Provide accessibility features by telling people with visual impairments who are in photo or video.
A few things Facebook do to help give you control
- If you turn your face recognition settings, Facebook will keep your template while your account is active but will delete it if you turn your face recognition setting off.
- Facebook don’t share your template with anyone else but you.
- It doesn’t have any face recognition feature that tell strangers who you.
- If you are untagged from a photo or video, we won’t use that photo or video as part the face recognition template to recognize you.
- Face recognition is simply out there to those who are aged 18+. People beneath 18 will not have the face recognition setting.
This content is from facebook